WILD BILL DONOVAN

WILD BILL DONOVAN
OSS

Thursday, October 29, 2009

'JIM B' JAMES BOND FANATIC

Two James Bond Fanatics, so-to-speak, were on the flight to Manila in 1963,but 'JIM B' as I shall call him, was absorbed in the latest paperbacks that Ian Fleming had written for most of the flight or else discussing such. He continued to be the supreme fan of JAMES BOND when I saw him last after he had ended his 'assignment' in the Philippines. That was when he and the other 'fan' were on their way to BANGKOK, 'notorious city of sin' while I was on my way to CAMBODIA, to seek 'ANCIENT WISDOM' in the jungles. Despite restrictions and strenuous objections by certain State Dept/Embassy persons, the two were going to go to the USSR(Russia) and one has to remember that the 'COLD WAR' was still on and there were many travel restrictions imposed,etc.,etc. I would not follow in their footsteps to see Russia for several reasons that I will not mention,except that at one time I was sort of labeled by a few persons as being 'possibly a "crypto-communist"' which requires another explanation,should I care to give it, at another time,if I have time. The movie versions of the books, which I declined to read but eventually did, were coming out and I saw DR. NO & much later, YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE, the latter which was my favorite BOND MOVIE although I liked ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE because it seemed to me to be the most faithful to the books. At any rate, 'Jim B' seemed determined to act his fantasies by doing or rather using some of the mentioned products in these 'canonical' works of Fleming. "Jim B' had studied,I think, to be a priest or had considered such, and had, if I recall, attended or studied at a Catholic school(s) and/or college,etc. I have to mention that some others I knew had also studied to be priests but most changed their minds, as did, apparently, 'JIM B' when they all succumbed to the 'fleshpots' of Manila and other Asian cities. However, 'Jim B' soon became notorious and gained a 'reputation' for performances in some of the more clandestine and erotic nightclubs and bars,so much so, that it drew the attention of some of his immediate 'supervisors' as well as colleagues, some of whom in the latter often accompanied him on such forays in the areas that might be described as 'RED LIGHT.' To my knowledge, I never did so but knew of his activities, which one 'supervisor'/friend of mine/colleague termed "INSANE". At any rate, I shall stop my description of him for the moment as I do not know where in the world he is now, but he was an open, handsome fellow, that was intelligent in many areas and well-grounded in 'philosophy'.

No comments:

Post a Comment