WILD BILL DONOVAN

WILD BILL DONOVAN
OSS

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

REFUGEE RELIEF OFFICER

While living and working in Washington,D.C.I got the curious notion that I might like to be a REFUGEE RELIEF OFFICER after seeing an advertisment in a newspaper,the name of which I can't recall. I answered the ad and had an interview at the usual place,which I may mention another time. I was interviewed by a lady and,of course, told the duties which were to be in Viet Nam, provided I learned the language to the extent necessary( I will discuss this another time) and so forth. She had me ask questions which I did, although I am not sure hhow intelligent or foolish I appeared to her but she put me to one test, which is this: she took out a cigarette and held it, long enough for me, if I had had one, to flick out a lighter and light her butt(cigarette) which I did not do, as noted for the reason why. I don't smoke and I realized that if I were a 'good old boy' I should have done so in all probablity. Anyway, I left the place armed with numbers to call for further inquiry and an application, I think, that I filled out and sent in or else filled out there and gave them,etc. Needless to say, Of course, it all came out later in newspaper and magazine articles or books on Viet Nam that such officers were more likely to be CIA Agents than otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment